ATM Security Tips
Skimming is a method used by criminals to capture debit or credit card data from the magnetic strip on the back of a debit or credit card. However, in order to commit fraud, the card data and PIN information are BOTH needed.
What is PIN Capturing?
It is a method used by criminals to obtain your debit or credit card PIN information. Typical methods include social engineering (human interaction) techniques, strategically placed cameras or false keypads to capture PIN information. Many skimming attacks utilize a combination of technical and ‘social engineering’ (human actors) techniques such as the often used ‘good Samaritan’ or ‘friendly and helpful’ passerby who may be able to enter your PIN for you. NEVER give your PIN to anyone!
Remember the following when using any ATM:
- Cover Up! Shield your PIN entry on the ATM with your spare hand when entering transaction information. By protecting your PIN, criminals do not have access to your account when card information is compromised (this method is useful when transacting at at ATM or Point of Sale at the cash register).
- Stand close to the ATM and use your body as a shield and extra security to protect your Card and PIN.
- Do not accept assistance, guidance or allow anyone to interfere with your transaction – fraudsters sometimes pose as bank officials by offering assistance or interfering with your transaction.
- If you suspect that a skimming device is attached to an ATM, do not attempt to remove it or tamper with it in any way. The criminals who engage in this type of fraudulent activity are known to become violent as they are typically not far away from the scene observing.
- As always, be vigilant when using ATMs and be just as vigilant in reviewing your account transactions frequently for anomalies or unidentifiable charges or transactions.
- Be observant of your surroundings when transacting at the ATM- Leave the ATM immediately if you feel unsafe or when suspicious people are loitering around the ATM. Use ATMs you are familiar with and do not use ATMs in secluded areas or late at night. Choose ATMs in high traffic areas that are well lit.
- Never force your card into an ATM slot.